New HVAC standard helps homeowners and operators choose the right equipment for plants grown indoors without sunlight
— Jean Walsh, ASABE Standards Administrator
SACRAMENTO, California, USA, July 29, 2022 /EINPresswire.com/ — Dr. Nadia Sabeh, Founder and CEO of Dr. Greenhouse, Inc.a leading provider of advanced HVAC design and control solutions for indoor grows, vertical farms and greenhouses, has been recognized by the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABI) 2022 International Annual Meeting in Houston for his leadership in shaping the new standard of engineering practice, EP653: Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) for indoor plant environments without sunlight.
ASABE President Paul Heinemann and ASABE President-Elect Keith Tinsey presented the ASABE 2022 New Standard Development Award. EP653 received special recognition as the first ASABE standard to be jointly developed and published. with the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE).
“The committee has worked diligently to complete a comprehensive standard for this vital emerging market,” notes Dr. Nadia Sabeh of Dr. Greenhouse, Inc. “With this standard in place, the committee has provided guidelines and design considerations for the selection of HVAC equipment used to manage the temperature, humidity and air quality of the indoor plant environment.The objective is to promote productive and profitable indoor crop production.
EP653 is published jointly by ASABE and ASHRAE and is ANSI (American National Standards Institute) approved. The standard is available for purchase and electronic download from the ASABE and ASHRAE Digital Libraries.
Jean Walsh, ASABE Standards Administrator, commented on the collaboration: “We are delighted to present the EP653 standard, which involved the collaboration of two professional organizations – ASABE and ASHRAE – to provide guidance on appropriate HVAC equipment for the cultivation of plants without sun, a business that will play a vital role in the future of agricultural production.
The ANSI/ASABE/ASHRAE engineering practice, EP653 “Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) for Indoor Plant Environments without Sunlight”, is the first of its kind to describe HVAC equipment used to manage indoor plant environments. controlled on a commercial scale that use single-source electric lighting. The standard provides recommendations and guidelines for owners and operators to develop and maintain optimal control of their indoor growing environments to produce food and medicinal crops (i.e. cannabis).
Dr. Nadia Sabeh, PE, LEED AP, served as co-chair of the committee as an ASABE representative, ASHRAE member, and editor of the standard. She would like to thank the following committee members for their expertise and dedication to creating the new standard:
• Kyle Bowling, PE, Director of Product Development, RAE Corporation – Co-Chair, ASHRAE Representative and ASABE Member; Contributor, dehumidification and cooling equipment
• Dr. Mark Lefsrud, Associate Professor, McGill University – ASABE PAFS-30 Representative; Contributing Editor, General Standard
• Andy Souza, PE, CPD, GPD, LEED AP, Mechanical Engineer, TEP Engineering – ASHRAE Member, Key Contributor, Humidification and Air Quality; Contributing Editor, General Standard
• Craig Burg, Vice President of Engineering, Desert Aire – ASHRAE Member, Key Contributor, Cooling and Dehumidification; Contributor, Heating and Heat Recovery
• Alekhya Kaianathbhatta, LEED, EIT, Mechanical Engineer, Smith and Andersen – ASHRAE Member, Key Contributor, Heating and VRF; Contributing Editor, General Standard
• Peter Luttik, Advanced Technologies, Emerson Solutions – ASHRAE Member, Key Contributor, Dehumidification
• Dr. Edward D. Harwood, co-founder of AeroFarms – Co-initiator and first contributor of Standard
If you would like to learn more about how the EP653 standard can improve the performance of your indoor crops, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Greenhouse at [email protected]
About Dr. Greenhouse, Inc.
Dr. Greenhouse, Inc. is a Sacramento-based agricultural design and mechanical engineering firm that provides industry-leading HVAC design and control solutions for indoor crops. The company is led by Dr. Nadia Sabeh, a recognized expert in controlled environment agriculture (CEA). Dr. Greenhouse helps farmers effectively control their environment, enabling them to produce high quality crops in indoor grows, vertical farms and greenhouses. Dr. Greenhouse has provided expert early-stage programming and mechanical design for 150 installations worldwide.
# # #