Packaging Design Engineer: Closing date February 8, 2022
NV 01 22
Packaging Design Engineer
Type of vacancy
Open – Permanent
Date of issue
January 11, 2022
February 8, 2022
Band 3 Zone B (lower)
Rate of pay
Fully Competent £59,403
Full contributor £61,780
Number of vacant rooms
The Low Level Waste (LLWR) repository has a proud past, a busy present and an exciting future. We have been managing the UK’s low-level radioactive waste for over 60 years and in July 2021 we became a subsidiary of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA), taking a more integrated approach to waste management across the whole of the domain and optimizing the use of our site, providing sustainability in terms of highly skilled jobs, use of the supply chain and support for the local economy.
Industry waste management policies have undergone sweeping changes since LLWR was set up in 2007 to manage the West Cumbria depot and oversee a national low-level waste program – and the numbers speak for its success.
In 2009, 95% of low-level waste was disposed of at the repository. Today that figure is around 2%, LLWR has led the way in ensuring effective solutions for low-level waste management, diverting materials from site using a range of treatments and disposal routes alternatives.
As a result, and through the implementation of the principles of the waste management hierarchy, LLWR has extended the operational life of the repository by over 100 years, extending it well into the 22nd century and saving the UK taxpayer over £2 billion by removing the requirement for a second national benchmark.
LLWR has just launched the largest building program it has ever undertaken, the Repository Development Program (RDP), which will span 3 decades. Planning permission was obtained to allow the construction of a final ceiling over the existing and new vaults and seven landfill-type trenches where waste was disposed of before the opening of the first vault at the site in 1988.
Our top priority has always been safety – of our community, our workforce and the environment – as evidenced by our safety performance. If you join the LLWR family, you will find a positive and supportive environment where your physical and mental health is prioritized and an inclusive atmosphere free from discrimination is promoted, alongside a commitment to excellence.
Package Design Engineer, in charge of supporting the day-to-day operation of the DAVL Storage radioactive waste transport package fleet, associated infrastructures and processes; for the specification, implementation and delivery of packaging design related work on a portfolio of new packaging projects and tasks, with support for general transport techniques and licensing
- Deliver assigned work packages that meet corporate, legal, regulatory, and business requirements
- Drafting of package design specifications and associated engineering work packages.
- Produce and review packaging design drawings, support analysis and documentation.
- Prepare and evaluate proposals for payload retention/waste loading
- Produce package design safety reports and related documentation in support of licensing activities
- Perform technical reviews to ensure continued regulatory compliance of LLWR’s fleet of licensed transport packaging.
- Serve as a liaison between external design organizations and vendors for project and task deliverables.
- Examination and condemnation of technical requests, production permits and operational concessions
- Identify appropriate design and engineering standards and practices to be used for projects.
Resource forecasting, demand, allocation and deployment:
- Support the packaging design authority in developing effective design strategies and plans
- Coordinate deployment of design resources in accordance with agreed resource strategies
Hourly cost :
- Establish and maintain baseline control in mechanical engineering
- Monitor, review and report on packaging design engineering progress
Supply chain acquisition:
- Serve as a smart client for the specification and acquisition of purchased design and manufacturing engineering services
Supply chain delivery:
- Enter and review work packages, bid selection and tender submissions for the purchase of packaging design, manufacturing and engineering services.
- Specify, supervise and review packaging design engineering work performed by supply chain contractors.
- Honors Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered (IMechE) or in the process of obtaining Chartered status
- Experience in the design of packaging for the transport of radioactive materials
- Working knowledge of IAEA regulations relating to the safe transport of radioactive materials
- Ability to deliver high quality design and engineering documentation
- High numerical competence, with experience in common software
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Work experience in the nuclear industry
- Working knowledge and experience of legislation including Machinery Directive, PUWER, LOLER etc.
- Working knowledge of lifting equipment and associated design codes.
- Work experience in the hazardous waste transportation, storage and disposal industry.
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office suite, MathCAD and Inventor software applications
- Ability to effectively manage supply chain contractors
Packaging Design Authority
For further information on this position, please contact: James McNally Email: [email protected] Telephone number: (+44) 019467 22630
Please send your CV and completed application form before the closing date to:
All positions are subject to a basic security clearance. If necessary, an SC authorization can also be requested.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018
LLWR is committed to processing all data fairly and lawfully and will not pass on any personal data for incompatible purposes. If you would like more information, please see the LLWR GDPR Compliance Statement available on the intranet or request a copy from the Human Resources Department.
In promoting equal opportunity, LLW Repository Ltd recognizes the benefits of having a diverse workforce and therefore welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We select people based on their abilities and our needs. We guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy. In addition, under the provisions of the Equality Act 2010, LLW Repository Ltd is required to demonstrate that our recruitment processes are fair and that we do not discriminate against or disadvantage anyone on grounds of age, disability, their gender reassignment status, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Mobility within the NDA group
All applicants within the NDA group of companies may be eligible to have certain elements of their terms and conditions protected when they voluntarily take up employment with another NDA group company. If your application is successful, your current group employer’s HR team will work with the new group employer’s HR team to ensure the appropriate protections are implemented in your contract offer. For more details, please contact a member of your current HR team.
Working for LLWR Ltd
Along with the huge professional scope of LLW Repository Ltd, the personal benefits are great including:
- Very competitive salary
- Generous bonus program
- Vacation pay
- Attractive defined contribution pension plan
- Child care voucher program
- Work-Cycle Program
- sickness benefit
- Group life insurance plan
For more information on other LLW Repository Ltd benefits, please see the Rewards and Benefits section of our website.
You are advised to regularly check your email (including any junk/spam folders) for correspondence related to this position, including invitations for an assessment or interview and any other type of correspondence relating to your application.