The new admissions policy worries pvt. management of engineering schools
The government’s decision to implement the new admissions policy for engineering and other professional courses from the 2021-22 academic year has raised concerns among the directors of the state’s private engineering schools. .
Unlike in the past, when 70% of the seats in the organizer quota (category A) were filled by the government on the basis of student merit and the directorates were allowed to fill the remaining 30% under the management quota (category B), the government now intends to resume the admission process for both categories.
“A GO to this effect was issued in 2012, but it had not been implemented. In 2020, the Higher Education Regulation and Control Commission had recommended the same, but the government could not move forward due to lack of preparatory time, ”said an official from the Council of State of AP higher education (APSCHE).
The new admissions policy has become a source of concern for private engineering schools, some of which have been accused of robbing parents by charging exorbitant fees and donations.
Members of the board of the Association of Management of Private Engineering Colleges of Andhra Pradesh (APPECMA) have approached officials of the Ministry of Higher Education, requesting permission to collect tuition fees for students. Category B seats up to three times the fixed fee. for the seats of the organizer quota.
GO n ° 12 published last March enabled institutions to collect fees for the seats in the management quota of up to twice the fees notified for the seats in the organizer quota.
It was, however, replaced by an amendment through a new GO released in July that not only removed the previous authorization, but also significantly reduced the annual fee for the 2020-21 academic year.
“To provide quality education, we need to attract quality teachers and pay salaries in accordance with the recommendations of the Seventh Remuneration Committee. We are also required to maintain premium status and obtain accreditations from the National Board of Accreditation (NBA), National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), and National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF). This is important to ensure good placements for students, ”said association president Choppa Gangi Reddy.
“Special training is provided to students in coding, languages such as python and data mining, apart from soft skills. We incur an additional expense there, ”declared Mr. Sridhar, secretary general of the association.
Claiming that their colleges play an important role in shaping the future of students, association leaders urged the government to consider allowing them to charge fees of up to three times the notified fees for seats. within the framework of the organizers’ quota.