The stories of Xiaoxing Xi, Anming Hu and Gang Chen
Monday, April 18, 3:30-5:30 p.m. ET
Concerns about China spying on research lead to hundreds of investigations into American researchers, nearly all of Chinese nationality. This webinar features three researchers, Xiaoxing Xi, Anming Hu and Gang Chen, who have been arrested by the US Department of Justice.
- Professor Xiaoxing Xi was arrested in May 2015 and his case was closed in September 2015.
- Professor Anming Hu was arrested in February 2020 and acquitted of all charges in September 2021; he was reinstated to his faculty position at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville in February 2022.
- Professor Gang Chen was arrested in January 2021 and charges were dropped in January 2022.
The APS has taken a strong stance on the researchers’ investigations; APS wrote to Attorney General Merrick Garland in support of Gang Chen and recently filed an amicus brief on behalf of Xiaoxing Xi. Additionally, APS has taken steps to make the United States more welcoming to scientists.
Despite the successful outcomes of the cases against Xiaoxing Xi, Anming Hu, and Gang Chen, and positive actions such as the closure of the China Initiative and recent directives from the White House to help researchers in key areas of research, the damage caused by these cases is lasting, both for them and for many other scientists who have seen their cases unfold and whose faith in the American legal system and in the promise of the United States has been shaken.
After attending, you will take away a better understanding of:
- The cases of three innocent Chinese scientists targeted by US research safety investigations
- The human and scientific cost of an incorrect response to research safety
- How to support international students and scientists
- What APS has done to balance the imperatives of research security and open science
We encourage participants to discuss how the current situation affects them and to make suggestions on how to support international students and scientists.
The webinar will be recorded, so please register even if you cannot attend live and you will receive a link to the recording.
- Dr. Frances Hellman (UC Berkeley; APS, president)
- Dr. Jonathan Bagger (APS, CEO)
- Dr. S. James Gates (Brown University; APS, Past President)
- Dr. Andrea Liu (University of Pennsylvania; former Chairman of the APS Council)
- Speaker 1 (12 min): Xiaoxing Xi (Temple University)
- Speaker 2: (12 min): Anming Hu (University of Tennessee, Knoxville)
- Speaker 3: (12 min): Gang Chen (MIT)
- Speaker 4 (6 min): Philip Bucksbaum (Stanford, former APS President)
- Speaker 5 (6 min): Francis Slakey (APS Head of External Affairs)